Some of my very athletically blessed peers have organized an event to help raise funds to promote naturopathic medicine. So whether you choose to lace-up, financially donate, or just Facebook “like” The Run, your participation will help promote your access to natural healthcare.
With just 10 days remaining, I want to see you out there, cheering on runners, or participating as you are able. (San Francisco, California holds the kickoff event, sign up to run in a state close to you – the event starts in CA and ends in CT, so everyone has a chance to run for our lives!)
This month a four person family will embark on a combined 13,000 mile run across 17 states.
Why? Licensure for naturopathic physicians across the US is critical. Patients in many states are limited to allopathic care, with little say in their own health care plan. Say it again, THEIR OWN health care plan. Drastic times (i.e., 1 in 3 children born this century are expected to develop diabetes) call for drastic measures! Your passion and determination will make a difference, and will open doors for a healthy, happy lifestyle.
One person who is working diligently for The Run is Carrie Austin, a special education teacher who is organizing the Reno, NV and Sparks Run, NV events. With little knowledge about the naturopathic profession prior to their Sacramento April 16th event, she was inspired to get involved, and boy, has she!
How can you help, you ask?
1. Donate: The Run has about $110,000 more to raise. If you can donate at least 1 penny per mile for each of the four runners, that would be $130 (.04 x 3,250 miles). Can you imagine, all that you have to do is donate 1 penny, and they have to run a mile…not a bad deal! If you can get five friends to do the same, that would be further our goal all the more! And the donations are tax-exempt through their two non-profit institutions. Please go www.TheRun.org to donate!
Please post to Facebook and encourage others to donate as well!
Money donated will go to expenses to make The Run happen and have the intended national impact. A few of the expenses for the 4 month Run include: 6 bodies to feed (about 3.5 million calories) and house, 40 pairs of running shoes, motor home expenses (gas, insurance, mechanical work, usage) other insurance, support crew stipend, publicity, marketing, etc.
2. Volunteer: Please email DrGodby@TheRun.org or Meghan@TheRun.org or call 916-446-2591 to ask them how you can help or be involved in The Run. Does your company want to offer a sponsorship? They’re all ears.
Please look at your calendar and their itinerary and to see where you can participate in The Run.
3. Pass the word! Forward the URL of this blog to your friends, join The Run’s Facebook group, post the work on your Facebook page, and email those who support naturopathic and natural medicine. The movement will only spread with your support!
Join the kickoff event in San Francisco, California on Sunday, July 17th, 2011. It will begin at 9:00 AM at Jackson Recreation Center (17th Street & Arkansas Street on Potrero Hill) and will include a speech by Dr. Carl Hangee-Bauer, President of AANP, and special appearance by Herb Schultz, Regional Director at the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (recently appointed by President Obama).
Other events include:
Sunday, July 17th (After morning kickoff event)
* 3:30 pm, Larkspur, Marin Natural Medicine Clinic (265 Magnolia Avenue, Larkspur), public reception featuring Dr. David Schleich, President of National College of Naturopathic Medicine, and Doctors Todd Maderis and Sally LaMont, with a tour, refreshments, and health education.
Monday, July 18th
* 8:30 am, Berkeley – Start at Whole Foods (3000 Telegraph Ave) for public event and brief stop at Mariposa Bakery
* 10:00 am-1:00, Oakland- Stop at Whole Foods (230 Bay Place) for public event
* 4:00- 8:00, Lafayette -Stop at Whole Foods (3615 Mt Diablo Blvd ) for public event.
Tuesday, July 19th
* Fairfield Event, Contact: Dr. Noa, DC, DrNoa@aol.com for more information.
Wednesday, July 20th
* 4:30-7:30, Davis Farmer’s Market (Central Park, 3rd and C Street), sponsored by the Institute for Restorative Health. Chiropractic, massage, health screenings will be available, as well as a panel discussion with Dr. Hassid and other healthcare providers.
Thursday, July 21st
* 12:30pm, Sacramento, Health rally at the Capitol West steps.
Friday, July 22nd
* 6:00-8:00pm, Health Festival in Fremont Park (16th & P Streets) with local food vendors, band, and healthcare practitioners!
Saturday, July 23rd
* 12:15 pm, Roseville: Sunrise Natural Foods (1950 Douglas Blvd # C1, Roseville, CA) , BBQ and Health festival!
*Auburn Event, for more information, contact: Dr. Cari Thachuk, ND, DrCari@mybukovina.com, 530. 885. 5908
To continue reading about events in your area, please visit The Run’s itinerary page.
Naturopathic doctors are helping patients thrive – now it’s your chance to help our profession thrive. Thank you!